QuickBooks has an amazing feature that helps organizations to streamline their payroll process. This makes it easy for companies to pay their employees in an organized manner and on time. This will also reduce hassle and make the process easy, quick, and accurate.
QuickBooks payroll is a user-friendly module that comes combined with accounting software and has various other useful options as well. But QuickBooks payroll also faces some errors and one of those is QuickBooks Error PS033 which is usually caused when the CPS folder has a damaged file. Due to this error, it gets difficult for the user to download the latest payroll updates and thus, is unable to open the company file. In this blog, I am going to discuss the possible causes behind the QuickBooks payroll update error PS033 and also share a few technical steps to fix it. However, to save you precious time and effort you can contact our QuickBooks payroll technical support team.
You might also like: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 6069?
What is QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS033?
When downloading a payroll update or opening a company file, you receive the following message:
“QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033]”
Error PS033 is caused by a damaged file in the CPS folder.
The image shown below is similar to what appears on your desktop.
Causes of QuickBooks Payroll Error PS033
Here are the common causes that may cause this QuickBooks Error PS033:
- Non-activation of the Payroll Subscription
- An inactive Direct Deposit agreement has more than one active payroll
- Damaged in QuickBooks Desktop File
- QB data is damaged.
- The QuickBooks version is not updated.
- Incorrect Service Key.
- Invalid or incorrect Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Incorrect company file PSID
- The current Windows version and QuickBooks Desktop are not compatible. (Note: Check what versions of QuickBooks are supported on Windows 10)
- If the status on QuickBooks Desktop appears as an Invalid number or EIN.
Note: If your Payroll subscription is deactivated, even then there is a possibility for the errors to occur.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code PS033?
To resolve the QuickBooks Payroll PS033 error, follow the below-given steps:
Solution 1: Download the Latest payroll tax table
- Choose Employees > Get Payroll Updates.
- Choose Download the entire payroll update.
- Select the Update option.
Check if the problem is resolved or not. If it is not resolved, then move to the next step.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 15218?
Solution 2: Rename the QuickBooks CPS folder
- Locate the following location: C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20QQ\ Components\Payroll\CPS
- QQ in the above step is for reference to the yearly edition such as 2018, 2017, and 2016
- Rename the CPS folder to CPSOLD and check whether the problem is solved or not.
- Update Payroll Tax Table
Solution 3: Disable User Account Control (UAC)
It is applicable for UAC settings changes (Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7)
After all the steps have been followed:
Solution 4: Reboot and troubleshoot in safe mode
- First of all, run a verify and rebuild data in QuickBooks.
- After that update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
- Reboot your computer system in safe mode and then update the QuickBooks payroll tax table.
- Finally, restart your computer.
I hope the above-given information helped you in resolving the QuickBooks payroll update error PS033. However, If you find the issue still persists, you can try and seek assistance from our QuickBooks experts through QuickBooks error support. Our experts will help you to resolve the error.
See some other helpful articles: