We all are aware of the fact that the installation of QuickBooks requires a license and product number for validation. the license and the product number are confidential and secure as this is a secret number. If you have cloned your QuickBooks installation to another computer or hard drive, you may encounter a license error when trying to open the program. This is because QuickBooks uses a license file that is unique to each installation and is tied to the hardware and operating system of the original installation. therefore, in this blog, you will know about fixing QuickBooks license error after cloning along with its possible causes. However, our QuickBooks enterprise support team is always there to help you.
You might also see: Resolve QuickBooks unable to export to excel error
Know the features of QuickBooks Desktop
Some of the features of QuickBooks are below:
- Tax filing
- Online Payments
- Generate Invoice
- Generate Employee’s Payroll
- Create expense, income, & purchase reports
Understand QuickBooks License Error after Clone
When you clone a computer or move QuickBooks to a new computer, you may encounter a license error message when you try to open the software. This error occurs because QuickBooks uses a unique identifier on each computer to verify the license. When you clone or move the software to a new computer, this identifier changes.
The license error message typically appears as a popup window with a message similar to “License Error: This copy of QuickBooks appears to be registered to another user.” This error prevents you from accessing QuickBooks until you reactivate the software on the new computer or after the cloning process.
Few Tips and Tricks to solve the problem
The QuickBooks License Error can be solved by removing the file EntitlementDataStore.ecml which might be damaged. By performing this task, you can resolve the following problems or errors:-
- Reconfiguration Error of QuickBooks desktop
- Disabled Online Sync Licensed Data
- QuickBooks Error: “You must subscribe to accountant’s copy file transfer service”
- Error Code 3371: Could not initialize license properties
- QB Error Message: QuickBooks is not registered. This issue will make the user unable to use Online Banking
Read Also: Ways to Solve QuickBooks Error QBW32.exe
What Causes the License Error after clone?
The QuickBooks license error after cloning is typically caused by a mismatch between the license information stored on the original computer and the new cloned computer. QuickBooks uses a unique identifier on each computer to verify the license, and when you clone or move the software to a new computer, this identifier changes. still, there are other causes that are responsible for this error:
- An outdated windows operating system might give rise to this error.
- Unsaved .QBO file before importing QuickBooks
- Damaged windows MSXML files can be one of the reasons.
- When the QuickBooks installation is interrupted by the third-party security program
- Outdated QuickBooks software
Steps to Fix QuickBooks License Error after cloning?
Check out the systematic steps to resolve the QuickBooks license error after clone:
- First of all, close the QuickBooks Desktop application
- After that, Ensure that the entire QuickBooks process is stopped
- Now Hit the ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc‘ keys on your keyboard
- Navigate to the ‘Task Manager
- In the list of processes look for the instances of ‘EXE‘.
- After that, Choose the instance & hit the ‘End Task‘
- Go to the entitlement data folder
- Navigate to “Run”
- Then, go to the ‘C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 (or v6)’ and press ‘Enter‘ key
- Perform right – click on the ‘ecml file’ & choose the ‘Delete‘ button
- Once the ecml file is deleted, open the company file & register the application
Ensure that the QuickBooks installation isn’t damaged by updating the Windows Operating System. To do so, follow the below-given steps:
- Firstly, choose the ‘Windows All Programs‘ & ‘Windows Update‘
- Finally hit ‘Install QuickBooks’, when all the updates are installed
Apply all the steps given above in a sequential manner to resolve the QuickBooks License Error after Clone..! In case, if the error persists – we recommend you contact the certified QuickBooks support technician. For instant help, you can chat with us. Our QuickBooks error support team is always there to help you out in every possible manner..!
Other helpful resources:
Methods to resolve QuickBooks unable to create PDF problem
How to solve QuickBooks Error code 1304?