Guide to Installation, Update and Set up of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
With the emergence of QuickBooks in the market, there is a stark change in the way accounting is done. As this new-age software consists of very advanced features helping in accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, sales, and inventory, in no time it has become a popular accounting software. Today, it is being used by big multinational organizations, mid-level companies, small businesses, entrepreneurs, and even individuals. What is best about this software is users can easily use it because of its simple interface. In fact, guidelines are available on the internet as well as QuickBooks Support services. One of the main aspects of this is the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
In today’s article, we are going to discuss the various aspects related to QuickBooks errors. Thus, make sure to read this post till the end. However, if you are looking for expert assistance, then, in that case, you can get in touch with our QuickBooks error support team via chat. We are a hub of experts and certified professionals, who will ensure to provide the best possible support to QB users.
You may also like: Condense Data Utility and Repair your QuickBooks File
What is QuickBooks Database Server manager?
It basically allows users to configure QuickBooks server for the multi-user access. This tool develops network data file (.ND) for the company file in the host computer. It is also known as Inuit’s personal database manager tool. This amazing tool makes it easy for the users to create network data files for the company file present on the host system or on the host workstation.
In case the user wants to use multiple desktop version of QuickBooks, then the user will have to install this effective tool. The point to be noted here is that without this tool, it is not possible for the user to access multi-user mode. Each version of QuickBooks database server manager installed on the system adds to a new user to the desktop version. Later in this article, we will discuss how to install, update and setup the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Following are the activities it can perform:
- Scan the QuickBooks company file as it is important for the multi-user access
- Check the local storage device so as to detect new company file automatically
Important Note: The QuickBooks Desktop needs the optimum file performance on the network and so you can install and set up the tool on your system in the location of the company files.
Easy and Quick Tips to follow
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager develops Network data files and stores the company file in the host computer. In case, you want to use the multiple version of QuickBooks Desktop it is important to install each version of the Database server manager.
- If you are planning to install multiple version of Database Server Manager then it will provide you with only multiple versions of processes. However, it cannot provide multiple version of the software.
- Install the Database server Manager in a chronological order, which is from the oldest to the newest version, when you want to use multiple version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Be informed that the year’s database services are running in the background when the server works for each year. Ensure that the services of the windows interface that can be accessed through the Windows and the Control Panel than this service is mentioned in the QuickBooks DBXX where the xx shows the number of versions.
- Each of the QuickBooks versions add one user when the QuickBooks Database Manager is installed. (ex. QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018 and QBDataServiceUsers27 for 2017).
Steps to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- In order to install QuickBooks database server manager, the initial step is to double-click on the installer and the “Start” with the installation of the “Wizard“.
- If your computer has internet then to download an update click on “Next“. In case the computer is not connected with the internet then tap on “No” and then on “Next“.
- Now, the user will have to close “All programs” that are open and click on “Next“.
- The user is also required to carefully read the “Terms of the software license agreement” and if you agree with the “Terms and conditions” then select “I accept the terms and license agreement” and click on “Next“.
- Once done with that the user needs to opt for “Custom or Network options“
- After this click on the installation type
- Select “I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer And I’ll be storing“….and when you want to run the program in your system.
- Opt for the “I will not be using QuickBooks on this computer…” when only QuickBooks data will be stored on this computer.
- The next step in the process is to click on “Yes“, Allow “Access“.
- And then enter your “License Number” and “Product Number“
- In order to complete the whole installation process follow the instructions that are displayed on screen.
- And then, when the installation part is done, make sure to carry out the relevant steps to set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error code 1920?
Steps to Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
It is necessary to update QuickBooks Database Server Manager. It is important because when an a critical update is released or when the new version of QuickBooks Desktop is installed in the computers.
- To begin with download the patch.
- After the completion of the installation you have to reboot the server and it is very important to do so.
- Once the server is updated on each of the workstations you will get the message: The Company File needs to be updated to work with this “version of QuickBooks Desktop.”
- After that, the updates can modify the database structure and in such instances you will get the message to “Create a backup“.
- This will allow the users to open the file when you follow the prompts once you complete the backup.
Steps to Set up and Use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The Database Server Manager tool can do the following:
- The folders and QuickBooks company files that needs to be configured for multi-user access are scanned
- The local hard drives are used so as to automatically configure new company files
“Hope this infographic will be informative for you to understand about set up of QuickBooks Database Server Manager”
Step 1: Open QuickBooks Database server manager
Get to know how you should open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
- The initial step in the process is to Go to “Start” button then click on “Programs”, then click on QuickBooks, and then click on “QuickBooks Database Server Manager“.
Step 2: Scan your Folder Features
The company files that you store on the server should be scanned to ensure that they are configured to permit other users to access these company files easily.
- Go to the “Start” button and then click on “Programs“. After this click on QuickBooks. Then on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- And then click on “Scan Folders“
- After this look for the folders that contain “QuickBooks company files“. In case you don’t know which files then scan the entire the whole disk.
- Lastly click on the “Scan” button and you will also be able to see through the display bar which folders are being scanned.
All the company files that are configured in the scanned folders for multi-user access when they are completely scanned.
Step 3: Steps to Add Folder
- Click on “Add folders” button and then select the “folder” you wish to include there.
- The location of the folder under the folders which contain the “QuickBooks company file“.
Step 4: Remove the folder
- The user can “Remove” the folder by clicking the folders that contain QuickBooks Company file and afterwards click to the “Remove Folder“.
Step 5: Click on Scan Button
- Finally, click to “Scan the folders” button that is listed under the folders that contain QuickBooks company files.
- After finishing the scanning you will see the “list of company files” found on that folder.
Step 6: Monitored Drive Features
When you add new company file to the server, you can use the
“Monitored Drive features” which keeps your QuickBooks Database Server Manager updated
- First of all, go to the “Start” button and then click on “Programs“, then on QuickBooks and then click on QuickBooks Database Manager.
- And then, click on “Monitored Drive tab“
- “Remove and rename” and then click on “Select“, in case you want all the “local drives” that you want to monitored for company files that are added.
What are the features of QuickBooks database server manager?
Following are the features of QB database server manager.
Database Server Features
To determine open your QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
- The list of users who are logged into each company file and the company files that are connected to the server.
- The status which displays the services of the QuickBooks Database Server. All the services should be running when the server is hosting the company files.
- In case, you want a change in the status of the services then use the Services Administrative Tool to configure the services QBDBXX.
To download QuickBooks Server updates use the updated features and view the versions of QuickBooks Server.
- First go to the “Start” button and then click on “Program“, then on QuickBooks, and click on QuickBooks Database Manager.
- After this click on “Updates“
- In order to install the updates follow the instructions displayed on the screen
In order to find any kind of information about the computer where the database server is installed make use of the system feature.
- In the “Start menu” click on “Program” then on QuickBooks and finally on QuickBooks Database server manager.
- On the next step, the user is supposed to click on the “System” option.
- And lastly, check the “System information” for the computer which has the “Database server” installed.
Read Also: How to access QuickBooks desktop remotely?
To wrap up!
We hope that this article has helped you to Install, Update and Set up QuickBooks Database Server Manager. In any case, you have any query regarding Database Server Manager then seek assistance from QuickBooks enterprise technical support team. Intuit QuickBooks Error Support is a team of Intuit Certified ProAdvisors and available for 24/7 to help you. Our experienced technicians are available to provide you with any kind of guidance or solve any error faced by QuickBooks.